Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall Trees

I saw this idea on Pinterest and adapted it a little.  They used colored sand to make their trees.....well, I don't have colored sand and I really didn't want to go buy any.....I like to use (as much as possible) the things I already have around the house.  So, we colored salt.....I hadn't done this in quite a few years.  All you do is put some salt in a plate and then take chalk and rub the chalk on the salt until you get the color you want.  You could have your children do this, but we had a lot to do this morning, so I had this prepared ahead of time.





We did orange, yellow and red......how do you get red chalk you ask??  Well.....I wasn't really sure how that was going to work since I didn't have red chalk (not sure if they make red chalk or not....I've never seen any before)......so I ended up using red sugar sprinkles with pink sand.


It worked great!

Then you can draw the trunk of your tree and color it in or use brown construction paper like we did and glue it on. 



 
Now take glue and "draw" the top of the tree using the glue.....then just fill it in with glue and spread it around with your finger.



Sprinkle the colored salt on the glue and cover it completely.  Shake excess off and let dry.








These turned out great!  The colors ended up being really vibrant.  You can use colored salt for all kinds of activities.....layer different colors in a jar, use in a sensory tub, or put a design with glue on paper and sprinkle the salt for a fun textured look.


Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment