Friday, November 11, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Just a few more pumpkin recipes to go!  The children were a little confused with this recipe......they thought we were making pies!  I said a whoopie pie is 2 cookies with filling between them......they were like, oooh!  It was quite funny.
Well, I had to make a little adjustment to the filling.....I was certain there was cream cheese in this recipe eventhough I had read over the recipe several times.  So, anyway I will give you 2 recipes for the filling....I quickly googled an alternative since I had softened my cream cheese and added the vanilla and then realized there was no cream cheese.
Here are my wonderful helpers again!  These kiddos LOVE to help.....or even watch.  When I prepare lunch or get something ready for the crockpot for supper, they are always right there at the counter wanting to watch or asking to help.....I love it!!! 

 They thought it was hilarious how the brown sugar just plopped into the bowl.....it's the little things in life!



Look at the team work!!!


Cooper is my master egg cracker!!!


I had to pour the ingredients into a larger bowl and when that happened, some flour dumped out.  Well, that is when I finished the recipe on my own.....they were more interested in playing with the flour and tasting it!  I think I will be loading up on some cheap flour and using it for our sensory tub very soon......we did that outside this summer and they loved it.


Ready for the oven. 

 The cream cheese filling.....D was sneaking a taste!

Don't they look yummy??  They were....all of the kids really like them....I wasn't sure if they would all eat them, so I told them they could have a half and if they wanted more they could have another half.  Most of them ate 2 halves.....I won't tell you how many I have had.





We were going to eat these yesterday, but one of my fabulous parents brought everyone a frosty from Wendy's......so I figured that was enough sugar for one day and we would save them for today!


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together brown sugar, oil, pumpkin, vanilla and eggs.  Then blend in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon and ginger.  Stir until batter is smooth.  Drop by teaspoons onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Icing:
2 tsp vanilla
4 T flour
2 egg whites, unbeaten
2 T milk
1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
1 box (1 lb.) cofectioners sugar

Stir vanilla, flour, egg whites, milk, shortening and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy.  Spread between 2 cookies to make a sandwich. 

Alternative Icing:
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla

Beat butter until smooth and then add the cream cheese and beat until smooth.  Then add confectioners sugar and vanilla and beat until just smooth.  Cover and refrigerate.  Let stand at room temp to soften and then spread between 2 cookies.


Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment