Friday, September 16, 2011

Name Identification

I've been saving lids from milk jugs, juice bottles, pop bottles, etc for awhile now.  I have quite the collection....now it was time to put them to use.  I made each child a set of lids with each letter of their name on a lid.....just printed each letter on my computer and cut out the letter.  If you have a circle punch, that works great (my mom and I share punches, so she must have the circle one right now....so instead I used my square and star punches).  Then just glue on the inside of the lids.  Each child now has a baggy with their name in it.   



 
You can do different things with these depending on the developmental stage of each child.  They can match up their name with a corresponding name.....write their name on a name tag or piece of paper and then they can use their lids to copy their name.  They can also put them in order just by itself. 

We also use the name tags in Circle Time when we are identifying our names.  I hold up a name and ask whose name this is.....by now each child knows which is theirs and then I ask that child what letter their name starts with.....it's amazing how much they have learned in a short amount of time!  This also gets the other children to recognize their friends' names too.



I used the opposite side of the lids and put each letter in uppercase.....this is good if children are used to seeing their name in uppercase.....once they have mastered that, then they can turn them over and do upper case and lower case. 




Right now, I am working on the entire alphabet for each child.....lowercase on one side and uppercase on the other.  Then we will use these for letter identification, spelling words, etc.  We will also be doing the same for numbers. 

This is very easy to do and cheap!!!

 
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment